Tuesday 28 May 2013

Home from Smuk and The Museum of Natural HIstory

It was a beautiful day when we started for home. Joe said we had to do some highway time in order to get there before to late but he would try it to do some side roads as we got closer to Vienna. Well we ran into some hail and heavy rain and finally stopped at an OMV service station for coffee and a break. When we continued on every time Joe thought we could do a side road the sky was very dark and looked like heavy rain. We went through another heavy rainstorm and then as we got closer to Vienna Joe went on a side road and we ended up at his BMW mechanics place. He traded the R1150RT he had been riding for his F800GS as it had been having some work done and was completed and he needed to get a new sticker and inspection. When he picks it up he will leave the R100R for a new rear tire and inspection also. Then into through the streets of Vienna and heavy traffic. But we made it without incident and arrived home in good time. The next day I was on my own again as Joe headed to work. It was a rather cold, windy and dreary day so I spent the whole time at the Museum of Natural history. So here is a tour of some of the highlights of my day. This is a phenominal place  and the displays  are so interesting and informative.
 
First is the rock collection with just about every rock known to mankind from all over the world. I particularly like the hairy ones.
 
 
 
 
 
The following I took to show you the lovely walls of the place and some of the layout.
 
Then I was delighted to find these displays of the Biosphere 2 as I had just been there this year when I was close to Tuscon Arizona.
 
Then you get to the prehistoric part and the dinosaurs. I did not take too many pictures here as after all we have the Tyrell Museum in Drumheller.
 
Then there is quite a bit about the evolution of man. This is where I found BOB
 
 
 
After walking around this whole gallery for several hours I needed to sit down and have some lunch. This was the ceiling over my table and this was the entrance to yet another whole floor of displays.
 
 
I loved this pot in one of the displays
 
All the different animals and birds totally amazed me.
                                             Look at the size of this walrus. He is huge.
And of course I had to take a picture of the moose.


And then came the birds. All different sizes and shapes and from all over the world.






Turtles and reptiles.
I loved this bear. Isn't he cute.
Of course my snowy owls.
Penguins
 
There were fish but my pictures were very dark and hard to see. All kinds of insects and butterflies and this huge mock up of a common house fly.
And outside as I left when I just could walk no more was this little elephant and this glorious statue.
 
Tomorrow a boat ride on the Danube.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment