Saturday 25 May 2013

Plitvice

Got up and went downstairs for breakfast which consisted of bread and cheese and cereal if one wanted it. then we headed west (I think) out of Kranjska Gora. Good thing I had Joe to follow. The first place we headed for was Bled. This is another very tourist place where the main point of interest is the Abbey in the middle of the Lake. We parked at Bled Castle and walked up this long steep walkway only to find they wanted 8 Euro each to go into the place and there really did not seem to be too much there to see, so we went back down and rode over to a stopping place on the other side where Joe sat at a roadside café and had coffee and apple strudel while I walked along the shoreline to see the sights.
This is the Bled castle up on the hill.
One could take a boat ride across the lake to the abbey but I just walked around the lakeshore.
 
Many of the restaurants in the small towns advertise pork and chicken done on a rotisserie and we stopped to take a picture of this one.
 
Back at Bled and the walk around the lakeshore. This is the Abbey out on the lake.
 
While this was very beautiful. Too many tourists .
We left Bled and headed out again and once again had to show our passports to leave Slovenia and get into Croatia and get a ticket for the toll road. I was very stressed and thankfully Joe stopped at a MacDonalds in Karlovac so I could chill out. We then went on a little further and stopped for fuel and a guy drove up on an Aprilla motorcycle and Joe asked him where a shop was. So he led us to one but it was closed and then he led us to another but it was closed also. However the shop owner was in his yard and came out to meet us and was very nice. Although Joe and I did not see the military display the first time by. We did see it the second time and stopped to take some pictures.
 
The war between the Croatians and the Serbs caused many hardships and it was not so very long ago.
1990 -1991
 
 
Then Joe led us onwards towards Plitvice and came up with a wonderful surprise for me. We stopped at this rest area and while he made coffee I took in the sights.and Oh what beautiful sights they were.
My first taste of waterfalls.
I believe this area was known as the Roberge. As I walked along the rest area I read stories that were generated by the area. About how the fairies would come at night and steal the horses from the surrounding area and ride them hard all night and then bring them back with their manes braided and how these same fairies would was their long hair in the waterfall during the day. There was also the story of a man who threw himself over one of the waterfalls because of unrequited love.
 
 
Oh so very beautiful. So back to the picnic table and the lovely coffee Joe made. Then on to our destination. Because we were losing the sun Joe took me up to the Plitvice viewpoint before we went to our B & B. San Korana. This is what I saw and to think tomorrow I would be there.
 
 
Now on to the B & B and Joe's friend San
.
 
We were greeted with a wonderful beer so did not go into town for dinner. Then a couple arrived who were also house guests. I was Kayo and Maegan from Washington DC. What fun we had sharing stories that evening.
 
Joe and I went for a short walk around the B & B before turning in.
 
 Took this picture out our window. Tomorrow Plitvice.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment