Sunday 2 June 2013

Boat Ride on the Danube

Well with my usual aplomb, I did everything wrong and almost gave up on taking the boat ride but again perserverence paid off but it was a little windy and cold. I got on the underground and went up to the stop that was past Joe's work because I knew there was a boat marina there. There was no one there so I walked all the way back to the Stadion stop and went into the Stadion shopping center.  There I felt like I had time warped back to America. This shopping centre was so like our malls. So I walked around there and then got back on the underground and got off at the marina near the apartment which I should have done in the first place and then I got to the dock and the boat left in 10 minutes to do a loop around Vienna. From the canal to the Danube river back to the canal and back to the dock.
My blog would not be complete without a picture of the poppies that grow along the roadsides and in the ditches all over. They add such a bright splash of color.
 

This is one of the municipal buildings in Vienna.
This is the restaurant and ticket office where the tour started.
 
There were several of these little cottages along the canal where occupants had fishing nets out front.
On the trip one has to go through locks both on the way out and the way back.


The next picture is of the United Nations meeting place on the top floors of The Hilton on the banks of The Danube
I enjoyed lunch on the cruise.
 
Another view of the locks and some of the other sights along the way.
 
The new Millenium Tower
 
OMV where Joe works.
This globe is actually very golden but because of the dreary cloudy day did not come out as I wished but it is west of Joe's apartment and we passed it several times.
 
Interesting architecture.
And so ends this glorious day
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment