Friday 17 July 2015

On through Flaming Gorge to Cody

As I left these beautiful red rocks I traveled through Capitol Reef National Park and then north through this totally different scenery. I stopped overnight in a the town of Vernal Utah.
All these little towns try so hard to look fresh and beautiful. These planters were so lovely. The next morning I was traveling through the Flaming Gorge. I had heard there was a forest fire but the next morning they had pretty much gotten it under control. I saw a moose as I entered the park by the side of the road and then traveled through the fire area to the dam.
 
I stopped in at the dam to get a stamp because it is a National Park and wow bonus I got 3 and then found out they have a free dam tour in 10 min. Absolutely fabulous. I had no idea this place was so big.
Looking down at the Green River
Once at the bottom there are candy dispensers dispensing fish food and you can feed the fish that hang out at the base of the dam. If you spill any don't worry Penelope the marmot and her 7 babies are their maintenance crew and she does a great job.
 
 
Great recreation area on the Green River.
The road goes across the dam and continues up out of the gorge. From there the country flattens out and I headed for Cody. Just a few more pictures of the country side and then to Cody. I need to go on the road soon so will do Cody next.
This is Antelope Flats and off in the distance is why they call this the Flaming Gorge. Better seen from the other side.
Thank God I have a motorcycle. I cannot image walking across these vast distances.
 
 
Til next time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment