Thursday 16 July 2015

Burr Trail, Utah

 In a continuing effort to try and catch up......
Saturday morning I was heading to Torrey when I saw this sign at Cannonville on Highway 12. Because I purchased a National Parks passport book I stopped in. I had seen a couple of pictures of slot canyons. Beautiful and asked where to behold them. It seems 2 of them are in the Kodachrome Basin but it costs money to take the loop. Part is gravel and partly they require a goodly hike. The lovely ranger told me about a slot canyon just off the road on the Burr Trail which is free. WOW.
No tourists, just this exquisite road with red rocks coming down. Amazing.
This is just outside the slot canyon.
This is just outside the visitor centre in Cannonville. Burr Trail is further down Highway 12. At Boulder you turn right instead of left and there you are. The slot canyon is 11 miles in. The trail is paved about 30 miles but then changes to gravel so at that point I turned around and came back.
Canyon from the outside.
Walking down to the canyon one finds this fallen tree. There was a lizard sunning itself but I missed it.
One of my favorite photos of the slot.
Looking up in the slot
Some of the surrounding area as I proceeded east.
Note the colorations.
I thought these reminded me of the Hanging gardens of Babylon.
Majestic
The further east I went the rocks changed from Red to Yellow with striations everywhere like one took a ruler and a black marker to them. I returned to Panquitch and the rally to enjoy a wonderful BBQ beef  dinner and prizes and awards. The next day I packed up, said goodbye to Fred, and John the only 2 people I knew there and headed home. I went a different route going north and east to Torrey thus eliminating Route 12 which is twisty and beautiful but much slower. My next episode will be the Flaming Gorge dam and Cody, Wyoming and the Buffalo Bill Cody musem. Absolutely outstanding.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment