Wednesday 4 September 2013

Next adventure Calgary to Ontario

Well not to let any grass grow under my feet. On Wednesday Aug 28, I again packed up and this time headed east. I had volunteered to help with the final checkpoint for the 3 Flags Classic. Going to Winnipeg. I have a good friend there who has been wanting to see me for a long time but somehow Winnipeg has not always been a viable destination so this time I went.
First comes Saskatchewan. Hard to spell but easy to draw. I was delighted to touch base with my trucker friend Taz along the route for a quick Hi, Bye. Then I stayed with Dale and Marlene McBain in Moose Jaw. They had fellow UMCI members and some friends come over for dinner that evening.
What great hospitality. Of course I thought of taking pictures after I left. So on to Winnipeg the next day. I stopped for fuel in Indian Head Saskatchewan and was quite taken with this Indian Head and the adjacent Buffalo Rubbing Stone.
 
Manitoba
Couple of things I noticed so far. But the trees seem rather indecisive wether it is winter or not. Some trees have a couple of completely yellow limbs or just a few leaves that have turned yellow but not the whole tree. Rather early don't you think.
Also I saw this rather large flock of geese. Flying high and heading south.
Manitoba's highways and the streets in Winnipeg are horrible for holes, bumps and cracks and one particularly feels them all on the bike and sidecar. Anyway I got to Winnipeg just at dusk and had to try to find Margie"s place. After many wrong turns I finally arrived. Friday I wanted to go to Fleet Brake to say hello which I did and as I pulled up A fuse blew and I had no end of trouble finding the short. Finally narrowed it down to brake light and a couple of marker lights that the sockets were so far gone and with all that bumping and jarring they were just shorting out. So I finally at 5 o'clock got back to my friends. The next morning I had to go to the Canad Inn on the south side and had breakfast with the group managing the finish and we got quite a few things done and my trucker friend Taz called. He was heading to Volvo to pick up another driver to head back to Regina. So another quick Hi, Bye and I was off to my friends again. Sunday was a complete restful day and that is what we did. Rested and visited. Monday was my working day. I was at the Canad Inn at 8:00 and ready and waiting to open the final checkpoint with our group of gold Wing Riders, Lynn and Gary,
Bruce, Kevin, and Ivan. We had our usual early arrivals but there were a lot who did not start or who dropped out along the way for various reasons. 223 started and approx. 190 were at the finish. Our last riders got in at 7:16 so we got to go home a little early. I took no pictures that day but Tuesday when I went for the banquet I took a few photos of the bikes and the RCMP officers that everyone on the ride had their picture taken with. Nice touch.
 
 
My friend Margie has 1 dog and 5 cats. They are kind of like her children so  Weds Sept 4 I reluctantly took my leave. Her back yard had the most wonderful tomato plants which produced the awesome tomato's which we had each day.
This is my friend and some of her menagerie
This is Buddy, Star and Sandy
Here is Buddy and Mom ready to join me on my trip. And next of course is Ontario with it's myriad of lake after lake after lake.
 I was supposed to join my friends at the Ingolf Inn for the evening but it was such a beautiful day that after a visit I headed out again. It is hard not to take advantage of such a beautiful day. I did however screw up in that I almost cut Russ's head of in the picture . Sorry but it still does show my friend Russ and Sherry Haight formerly of Airdrie Alberta.
 
I am presently in Vermilion Bay Ontario in the Northside Motel.
Following are some of the many lake pictures I took along the way.
 
This is the lake Ingolf is on and I cannot remember the name of it.
There were picnic tables at this lake and I stopped to use the facilities.
This Innukshuk is at Bobby's garage in Vermilion Bay
Eagle Lake, Vermilion Bay
Tomorrow continuing on through Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment