Tuesday 17 September 2013

Cedar Breaks and Kolob Canyon

The Sundowner Inn was a bit of a dump but effort was made to keep it clean and the continental breakfast was good but I made up for that. I headed for Cedar City Utah and am currently at the Abbey Inn. It is really a beautiful place and very beautiful considering there is a complimentary free breakfast and all kinds of food places right next door and down the street. The only complaint I have at present is the wind is very high and not fun at all out on the bike. However several beautiful spots are not far away and I went to see them. Cedar Breaks...The amphitheater is gorgeous with all its many brilliant colors and formations. It is similar to Bryce Canyon but has its own unique geology.
Cedar Breaks
 
 
 
I met a whole group of Germans again on Harley's rented from Eagle Rider in Las Vegas. It seems to be a very popular thing to do in Germany and no wonder with all the wondrous things there are to see. After viewing this awesome spectacle I headed back to Cedar City and fueled up and grabbed some water and a sandwich from Jimmy Johns and headed for Kolob Canyon part of Zion National Park but I had never heard of it before. Oh My What can I say. It is so wondrous it is beyond belief.
 
The sheer red rock cliffs are absolutely ethereal. I even did a 1.12 mile hike up to a point where one could see the plateau that is the start of the Grand Canyon.
I took all of these other pictures on the trail.
 
Rocks through a knarly ole juniper.
Through the branches of a bristlecone pine.
 
 
 
 
In one spot the trail tended to be wet so this is how they coped. They made little islands of logs and dirt and left spaces so the water could run between them leaving the path intact. Rather unique and rustic.
Joe, just for you..Who did I talk to? A couple from San Antonio Texas in a car,A couple from Saskatoon Sask Marie who teaches German and her husband. A couple Valerie and Rick from Tuscon Arizona on a Honda GoldWing and Paul from Pleasant Valley Utah on a Goldwing Trike. I would still be out there meeting all these wonderful people but I opted to come back to the Abbey Inn and finish my blog and have dinner and go for a swim because the wind was very strong. Oh!!!The Hard Life I Lead. I will leave you with a couple more pictures of this wonderful Canyon.
 
 
In this picture I was trying to show the vertical crack on the little tower in the middle. I am sure I have often viewed these mesas from the air and wondered where the were. I am positive I have solved this mystery and will be sure to look on the 24th as I fly from Palm Springs.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment