Sunday 8 September 2013

Ontario

Well I am still in Ontario despite the fact I am heading home. Since my last blog a few days have passed. I was still heading east from Vermilion Bay passing small lake after small lake. All with their own unique beauty. Then there it was Lake Superior like the ocean vast and huge.
 I stopped at Kakabeka Falls and took these great pictures and reminisced about being there many years ago on the Greyhound bus with the Boy Scouts heading for a jamboree in Thunder Bay.
 
 
 
They have lovely walking trails throughout the park but I am a little pressed for time so I headed on. This is one of the beautiful picnic shelters hikers can enjoy.
There are oh so many warnings of moose. However I have not seen any but have also promised to not drive after dark through Ontario. So I carried on around Thunder Bay and headed for Sault Ste Marie. I stopped for fuel and spoke to a Harley rider from London Ontario and he said there were 2 small towns up ahead with motels. I was going through Terrace Bay and spied a BMW bike parked in front of  one of the units so decided to stop there. It was a nice couple from Pennsylvania who live for the most part in Thailand.
We all went to have dinner together at a restaurant called Drifter's and the food was excellent.
The Harley rider showed up and joined us also. Bob and North and Ted. I was concerned about how my bike was sounding and there fore looked in the Yellow Pages to determine if there was a motorcycle mechanic in Marathon and saw an add for all makes, ATV's and boat engines and chain saws. So with that in the back of my mind I headed out the next day. I stopped at Marathon on the highway for fuel and pulled up to the pump Diesel only so instead of turning and going to another pump I turned and headed into Marathon and drove right by Marathon Motorsports and met Rick and Cathy. Rick is a mechanic in the true sense of the word and narrowed it down to the u joint. Okay let's get it fixed. BUT it is a BMW right and there is a dealer in London. The ujoint is part of the driveshaft and the part has to come from Germany. 10 days. So I stayed at the Marathon Lodge right next door and contemplated what I should do. Rick figured it would make it to London or it would make it back to Calgary but not to London and back to Calgary. So now I am heading home. Alittle disappointed I won't see my friends  in Sudbury and my family in St Thomas but now I will have more time for my Palm Springs trip.
Light house and shopping centre in Terrace Bay. Right behind my hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment