Tuesday 20 August 2013

Coeur d'Alene and Nakusp 2013

The next day I left Harrison about 9AM and headed towards Couer d'Alene constantly watching for wild life. Just a little ways into the woods there is a young moose standing in the road so I travel really slow and then this big nose pops out of the bush. It's mommy. So the both cross the road and mommy stops at an apple tree to get a bite. She had 2 young ones. Drat could not get a picture. So I traveled on and pretty soon a deer crossed ahead of me. Okay so where is number 2? Sure enough running along the side reluctant to cross so I stopped and then she went. I told her she was a good girl as I passed. Not long after a doe with 2 fawns was at the side but she went back. That was all the excitement on that stretch so I proceeded into the city and stopped at an Elmer's for breakfast. It was good and they make the best baking powder biscuits. When I left I was going to Jordeane's as I had been unable to reach her by phone. So I headed north only to find I was on the right street at Elmer's.
I enjoyed a lovely visit for 2 nights and left on Wednesday morning. I was delighted to see how well she is managing. Still a lot of pain and lots of metal holding her together but for the most part she is doing well. When I left I traveled over to Hwy 41. Here another flock of turkeys ran across the road in front of me. These ones were all the same size though. Then I went to visit Billie Leonard and Dave north of Rathdrum. They are part of the sidecar group and enjoyed a lovely visit. Finally it was time to get moving. When I arrived at the border there were only 3 vehicles ahead of me but there was no one in the booth and we were not moving. So I thought what the heck did the guy have a heart attack? Pretty soon I heard a siren and an ambulance from the Canadian side stopped at the booth and 1 fellow went out and me them and took them in the little house. A while after he came to the window and started putting us through. A little excitement. I headed through Salmo, Nelson, Silverton and towards New Denver. I was getting really tired and thirsty so stopped at this place. I only got a water as they only serve special coffee's and juices etc. The name intrigued me though.
Sleep is for Sissies.
 
 
Then on to Nakusp. I went uptown for dinner and of course the flowers there are always so beautiful.
 
As the rally progressed. It started officially on Thursday. I was uptown having breakfast when this bike pulled up with a couple on it. Notice the foreign plate. They were from Switzerland and were visiting friends in Silverton and when I told them about the rally they came over to visit and met another friend they had not seen for awhile. Peter and Meggie Hess.
Billie sleeps in this hammock. Great if you have 2 strong trees but what does he do in the desert?
 
Jim Benge
I met him and Kathy a few years ago in Okanagan Washington and they informed me about Republic BMW rally.
Kathy and another friend.
Of course the usual crowd was there and it is always delightful to see everyone and of course meet new people. When I arrived they pulled my envelope out and said oh are you with Jim. Whoa there is a concept I had not heard for awhile. There was another fellow there whose name is Jim Lang. Not my ex husband as he is from the US but it was fun trying to find him and meeting a lot of other people while looking.
 
Bob trying to kill wasps. Marje looking on.
Sunrise Saturday morning. Storms threatened all day but held off until after the games but we had to eat supper in the hall.
Reinhart doing what he does best. Sell 50/50 tickets.
Watching the games.
 
Arriving at the ferry terminal on Sunday 10 minutes late 40 minutes to go but as we waited more and more arrived and visiting was in full swing.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once across the ferry Gary and I had breakfast at MacDonalds in Revelstoke and then we parted company as he had to go to Edmonton and me to Calgary so I continued on and arrived home around 5 PM. Good ride. Now I am back at work and preparing for the next trip.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment