Saturday 28 July 2012

On to Menlo Washington

Friday morning I was up early and packed and on my way by 7AM. I had decided to take the most direct route. Along Hwy 12 to I5 6 miles north Exit 77 onto Hwy 6. Wow pretty hard to get lost. I did miss a turn in Yakima but with much jigging around got right back on track. I arrived about 5 Friday night and was delighted to see a few old friends and was in time for the salmon dinner. It was reported that the firefighters of Menlo used to put it on and it was excellent but they had a disagreement with the fair staff and it did leave a lot to be desired. Too bad. They also used to do an oyster feed but I missed out on that too. That evening I sat on a chair outside and watched The Blues brothers movie projected on a tarp. Hey I had never seen it before. All I could think of was the entertainment we had in Kelowna The Blues Brothers II and Jake was a woman. Her and her brother in  law had done it for a prank at a birthday party and it was so good that they have a thriving business. Does make you wonder though...all that way to sleep in a tent and wath the Blues Brothers. I did enjoy though.
I took the following on the way there.
 
 
I ran into my friend Phyliss whom I had not seen in awhile and Jurgen and many other old friends from Nakusp and Republic

New friends Sam and Bill Ott 
 
 
The next day I got up and it was pretty damp and wet. They were serving brekfast on the grounds but I opted out and decided that becaus I was so close I needed to go to the ocean. So I went to Long Beach and then south to a lookout. These are the pictures I took there.
 
 

I got my pictures and then went to The Lost Roo in Long Beach for lunch. Neat place.
I then returned to the campground and visited some more and that evening they had a live band.
I felt rather sorry for them because as the evening chill hit the air almost everyone who had been gathered around for the draws and 50/50 and awards gravitated towards the fire and heat and left them to play to themselves. Again I never won  anything but that's my luck. The next day I took advantage of their lovely breakfast and packed up camp  and decided to go back the way I came, back to Hwy12 and across to Yakima amd then north to I90 and Ellensburg. Well by the time I got to Selah I was falling asleep so even though it was early I heade for The North Park Lodge and had a lovely stay.
In the next picture Mt Rainier is in those clouds.
 
 
I met this group of bikers at a fuel stop and this BMW is like none other.
He called it his Reich machine,

Then I stopped at this weird looking rock and also a viewpoint for this dam.
 



This is the lodge I stayed at in Selah

 


When I left Selah I chose to go up the canyon to Ellensburg instead of getting on the freeway and what a delightful choice it was. I even saw a mountain line on the other side of the river.
 
Once I reached the interstate I stopped at a couple of rest areas. It had been so long since I was in that part of the country that I had forgotten where it was and many memories returned.

 
 
Then on to Cour d'Alene and I stayed with Jordeane for 3 days and hopefully helped her out a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment