Monday 9 July 2012

Over the Highwood Pass

I went for a ride on Saturday night. It was a beautiful evening and I forgot my camera at home. Ryan and I went for dinner at Boston Pizza (he in his car and me on the Bumblebee). I had no destination in mind so headed for the Aldersyde Petrocan and then took the long way home. East towards Mossleigh and then to the TransCanada and into Chestermere where I stopped for Coldstone Creamery ice cream at Tim Hortons. It was very beautiful with the fields and fields of blooming canola..yellow as far as the eye can see. And next to that the legumes?(kind of look like peas) and they too were in blossom a sea of white.
So on Sunday after breakfast and church I headed out again only this time headed for the Highwood Pass. This is an annual trip. I stopped at Subway in Black Diamond and purchased a sandwich and pop for lunch to be consumed later at one of the many beautiful picnic areas along the way. As a side note the RCMP and Sherriffs were in full force and it warmed the cockles of my heart to see the people who blew by me get pulled over further down the road. It is rather dangerous riding the Highwood at breakneck speed because herds of Dall Sheep seem to find it fitting to stand in the middle of the road and lick the salt off. And honking your horn or even loud Harleys do not seem to faze them at all. They are fearless and stupid. Like some people I know. Anyway I took a few pictures which I will share mostly of the lovely Indian Paintbrush. I saw my bike become new again about 3 km from the summit. It turned 99999 and then 0. Kind of thrilling really. I took the long way home as I stopped at that service station in the Kananaskis and 2 pumps were out of order and there was a long line of Harleys and cars so I knew I had enough fuel to reach the Trans Canada but then decided Deadman's Flats was closer than Calgary so headed west and fueled at my friends Esso. Good thing to as my low fuel light came on and I was not prepared to find out how far I could go on reserve. I then continued west and came back via 1A. Beautiful drive but I was very tired when I arrived home.



Yes that is snow at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment