Friday 11 January 2013

Calimesa to Death Valley

I spoke to a gentleman at the McDonald's in Calimesa and he said to stay on 330 and so I did 3/4 of the way up Big Bear but when the cars started coming down covered with snow made a decision to turn around and go back and get on 215 and then I 15 towards Las Vegas.As I was passing through Victorville I was very cold and when I spotted the Harley Dealer I decided to get out of the wind and consequently met some lovely people and got a free coffee.

 My initial idea was to stop in Barstow as the wind was horrific but then I stopped at Barstow Station. It was a place full of food places and gift shops and all the tour buses stop there.

 
 
I had a bite to eat here at Panda
Express and made the decision to carry on to Baker. The wind got a whole lot worse but there did not appear to be any motels in business in Baker. I tried to ask someone what I could look forward to if I headed north towards Death Valley but they were either tourists or so busy I just gave up and decided to just go for it. There was not much traffic on this road and I surely did hope that there was something at Shoshone. I was absolutely delighted when I arrived and found this quaint little place. It had Charlie Brown's General Store, The Famous Crowbar Cafe' and Saloon, Shoshone Inn and Museum. The gas was 5.39/gallon for regular and went up from there. I stayed at The Shoshone Inn for 85.00/night. I met a lovely couple Paul and Val from Baker Oregon and we enjoyed Dinner and breakfast together.
 
 
 
 
 
Smoke Tree at the Shoshone Inn
 
 
 
 
 
The next morning before I reached Death Valley Junction I took these next 2 pictures.
 
 
 
The next day I left this great little place and headed for Death
Valley. I arrived at the campsite in Texas Springs and was greeted by Jim and Nancy the hosts. I proceeded to set up my tent and a few other people came and some left.
 
 I put my hot rock in the fire to heat up and put in my sleeping bag and showed the trick to Spike from Massesschusets.
He thought it was a good trick and even though the temperature dropped below freezing I was cosy and warm.
 
The next morning  Spike and I went for breakfast at Furnace Creek Ranch. I had been there the day before and albiet pricey the meals were very good. Spike and I decided to  go up to Dantes View and then we walked through Golden Canyon and rode to Badwater 282 feet below sea level.
Furnace Creek Ranch kind of conjures up thoughts of heat but not so. It remained cool for most of the time we were there. 
 
In Golden Canyon
 
 
 
 
 
This is the view from Dantes View
 
 
 
 
 
Zabriske Point
 
 
 
Badwater. I had wanted to go to Devil's golf course but the terrain was much as you see here but it was down a long dirt road.
 
 
The next day we were to take an incredible ride will save it for next episode.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment