Wednesday 5 August 2015

Icefields Parkway

One of the many glaciers that captured my attention as I rode up the Icefields Parkway. I am sure I traveled this route before but in a car and it seemed all new and fresh to me. I stopped at Saskatchewan River Crossing and paid $20.00 for a hamburger, fries and a pop????? I met a man on a BMW and it seems he had become separated from his Eagle Rider tour as he had to go back to his room to retrieve something he had forgotten. His fearless leader was Steve Feather. I tried in vain to find him to say hello but I believe I passed his group leaving the Columbia Icefields as I was pulling in. Steve was my tour guide and I keep in touch. I was also taken by the many beautiful flowers on his trip. The hand of God in the many gardens along the way. Here are Indian Paintbrushes in profusion and later the fireweed really captured my attention and the photos do not do it justice.

                                          Note the beautiful waterfall below the glacier
 
Columbia Icefield. It is certainly receding at a rapid  rate. At one time it used to be down by the road.
The river above Athabasca Falls
Took more pictures of the falls
 
 
I love this picture. It would make a great screen saver.
 
Beautiful fireweed
And finally that days destination in Grande Prairie. I stayed overnight and then visited the staff at Fleet Brake
 
Next episode I visited that staff at Fleet Brake and then headed to Dawson Creek and checked out the rally campground before moving on up the Alaska Highway.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment