Sunday 2 August 2015

Great Falls, Cutbank and The Great Canadian Barn Dance

I am so anxious to get on to my next trip that I am getting my last trip done finally. I left Cody Wyoming and stopped at a bar in Bridger Montana and had a great breakfast. Then I headed for Cutbank and spent the night in the Super 8 there.
On the way I went to Great Falls and went to the National Forest museum for the Lewis and Clark expedition. They had a great museum there but after being in Cody it seemed rather a let down. However they had great information and artifacts from Lewis and Clark days and this portrayal of the portages over the Great Falls.

This wonderful painting portraying the signing of a peace treaty.
When I go to these museums I always watch the movies they show. In this case portraying Lewis and Clarks journey up the river looking for the Great Falls of the Missouri.
                                          Some of the artifacts in the Plains Indians exhibit.
                                                           Looking out onto the river,
                                                                           Ryan Falls
Outside the door to my room in Cutbank. I was the only room with a door out back where I could park my bike.
Looking out my door. I walked to a Pizza Hut next door and had dinner before turning in. The next day I arrived at The Great Canadian Barn Dance early and got settled in before my friend Rick arrived and the other UMCI rally goers.
I stopped at St. Mary's for a cup of coffee and met a fellow BMW rider from the Bee Hive Beemers who did not go to Panquitch this year. Later there was a bad forest fire here and St Mary's was evacuated. Have not heard how things are now.
I rode up the Many Glacier road to the park gate and then turned around and then I drove back to St Mary's to get my National Park book stamped. The funny shaped glacier near the top is the Salamandar Glacier.
Beautiful scenery everywhere one looked.
 
That evening there was this beautiful sunset
 
Home away from home. Rick and I drove into Lethbridge the next day to buy a few things and then more arrived. We went driving in the truck to find a spot by the river to put our feet in but all the land near the river is privately owned and all we got for our efforts was a flat tire. Rick had to change it in the excessive heat and had some difficulty with the tools he had but helpful neighbors converged on the scene and assisted. We did however see this osprey next with a young chick in it and mother bringing food.
 
 
Dan and Stephanie heading up a ride to St Mary's and Many Glacier and because I had been there the day before I went with some others to Waterton while Rick went into Pincher Creek and was able to get a replacement tire and installed for $45.00 He was one happy fellow. I had a great day in Waterton. Before leaving we went to the centre and had breakfast.
 
 
In Waterton by The Bayshore
Prince of Wales Hotel
Sitting on main street I was taken by this little chipmunk.
 
 
 
 
 
The good bathrooms and showers were clear across the lake.
One of the fellows from Medicine Hat had one of them newfangled Slingshot's. Very futuristic. I liken them to a dune buggy with 3 wheels. Great conversation starter.
Apparently I got the driver in trouble the next day as the previous evening I had told the joke about the couple driving in the country on a cold blustery winter day and they so this poor little skunk laying in the road it was not dead but if they left it there it would surely die. So they stopped the car and she got out and picked up the poor little thing and brought it back to the car. She said to her husband . Where will I put the poor little thing so it can warm up. Her husband said Why don't you put it between your legs? She said What about the smell? He replied Just hold it's little nose. So the next day when they saw a poor dead skunk on the road He reached over and pushed her legs together and she slapped him......
The last day they had a big party for Canada Day. A dunk tank, games for the kids, Dinner and a barn dance. What fun.
 
 
And so ended another great trip. The next morning after breakfast we packed up and headed home.
Next will be my journey to Dawson Creek and Hyder Alaska.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment