Wednesday 17 September 2014

Utah to Tuscon Arizona

Well I left off on the Escalante Staircase heading for Flagstaff. At some point you go past entrance to Bryce Canyon and some of the rock formations are indicative of what you find in the park. And then you go through 2 beautiful red tunnels and into Red Canyon. I have actually been here before but took some more really awesome pictures before putting on my rainsuit in Mt Carmel Junction.
 
 
This is a continuation of the staircase. Awesome colors and just rock, rock, rock everywhere.
 
Now this is just outside Bryce Canyon. Utah is so diverse with different rock throughout. I find it a very fascinating place. Colorful and the vistas go on forever.
 
 
In Red Canyon
 
 
So on to Mt Carmel Junction and putting on the rainsuit. Sure glad I did. It was a cold wet journey through the reservation and Kanab. I was never so happy to see a MacDonald's sign as I came down out of the hills cold and alone only to find it was an advertisement for the one in Tuba City and nowhere nearby at all. I fueled up at a little Indian service station and headed for Flagstaff. The wind picked up and it was pouring rain as I entered the city. I glanced over and saw a Super 8 checked for traffic and headed in. Whew! Nice room and a restaurant across the parking lot. The next morning the rain had let up and the sky was blue to continue on the next leg of the journey. Down Lake Mary Road towards Tuscon. As I got nearer I crossed this awesome bridge at Roosvelt Dam. So nice to be able to stop and take pictures as once on the 3 Flags there is no time for dawdling and picture taking but we would be retracing those steps I had just covered only it was Tuscon to Torrey 667 miles in one day and I had just taken 2 days to cover it.
 
 
The water levels were way down in the reservoirs. Not as bad here as in California.
Lots of Saguaro cactus in the hills now and I noticed the barrel cactus were in bloom but did not get any pictures. Yes I finally felt like I was in Arizona. I arrived at the Doubletree Hotel for the start. They took my picture as I arrived for my passport. Tonni, Mark, and Marshall who were to be my companions on this journey greeted me and then I finally checked in at my hotel down the road La Quinta. I saw a lot of friends and the next day was the Touch the Fence ride to Nogales which I will tell about in my next episode.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment