Saturday 20 September 2014

3 Flags Classic

Well as you can see from my previous post. I was in Nogales and then I was in Walla Walla Washington. Well there is a whole lot of road in between. We started at 3AM. It was dark to say the least. There was no time to stop an lallygag or take pictures. Many stopped at the MacDonalds in Globe for breakfast. They were a little overwhelmed to say the least and it also gave rise to the credence that bikers like MacDonald's. Our first checkpoint was Torrey Utah. We stayed at the Rim Rock where I had stayed on the way down. Tonni, Mark, Marshall. The joke was 1 room 2 beds Sooner or later one of them would have to sleep with me. Nooo
They ordered a cot and to add insult to injury threatened to put me on the porch. We did stop a couple of places for fuel and potty breaks and just to have a quick lunch. The trick is to go past the check point so you can sleep a little longer and still make the next checkpoint. Next stop Snake Harley Davidson in Twin Falls Idaho. We checked in and travelled to Mountain Home before finding a motel. That night the wind came up and it rained but by morning it was clear and cold.
We headed for Boise, stopped at MacDonalds for breakfast and headed north through Council and on to Walla Walla. We checked in and stayed in Lowell that night. We saw a few of our travel mates at the same motel. The next day we did stop at Chief Joseph Dam.
 
My bike, Marshall's, Tonni's and Mark's
 
Next stop was the border and on to Harrison Hot Springs. I was delighted to see Steve from Abbotsford and Peter from Vancouver ( he was the fellow I took to Nakusp Hot Springs in the sidecar). There was a horrible bike accident on Highway 1 which delayed a lot of the riders but we were fortunate to be ahead of it. This next picture is the view from my room of the hot springs. They gave us robes to wear over our swimsuits to go to the pool. What decadence.
This is the lodge. The next day I took a walk around the grounds.
 
 
This is the lake.
I saw a lot of these hairy bushes which I have yet found anyone to identify for me.
This is the source of the springs. Quite a fascinating story.
 
The lake again from a different angle.
On the way back from my walk I encountered this lovely park and had to use my room key to access the grounds.
 
 
What a thrill to arrive at the final checkpoint and receive the coveted belt buckle. We still had the banquet to look forward to. The banquet was sumptuous serving steak and salmon and all kinds of salads and desserts. The redcoated RCMP officer was great.
 
We travelled 2,363 miles in the previous days over glorious scenic twisty roads.
What a rush. Can hardly wait for next year. The next morning it was with great sadness I headed home Alone. I had had such a great time with old friends and new. That night I stayed in a motel in Salmo and this was my view the next morning.
In the Crowsnest Pass I was quit cold and amazed at the amount of snow in the hills but it was nothing in comparison that fell when I was off on my next adventure to Palm Springs via the BMW rally in Quincy California.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment