Thursday 7 August 2014

St Paul BMW National Rally 2014

So here I am in St Paul Minnesota. On the State Fairgrounds. All kinds of buildings, All kinds of trees, All kinds of green spaces which were all covered with tents. 5,886 people attended the rally.
Turk and Tim were there when we arrived as they were volunteering in shipping and receiving all the vendor stuff. We were under the grandstand. Quite aways from the hub of everything but quiet.
The grounds were beautiful as you can see.
 
 
Snoopy dancing up a storm
 
It was not long before good friends started arriving from hither and yon. These are my good friends Jim and Kathy Benge from California. I did not know as many as other years as we were in the east.
 
 
The bikes were parked in this under ground shelter. Under the grandstand ramp, We were camped on some grass right in front. Tuesday because venues were not open yet, I rode up to Perkins for breakfast. That evening a bunch of us went to Stout's bar and grill just outside the main gate. Was that ever good. The next morning Giggles was open for breakfast and I had a breakfast sandwich before I went to the seminar. It was for chartered clubs to see how we could attract more members and how to make our rallies better. I found it interesting but a lot was not pertinent for Canada. I am however going to try to get our dealer to have a better relationship with MOA. That evening one of the venues. The Luthern Church opened their booth and served the rally goers all week. I had Thanksgiving in a bowl (Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and cranberry on top. Just perfect for an evening meal and volunteers from the church serving us. It was delightful. So once the seminar was over I felt I should volunteer for something and 12 to 3 I helped at the door prize booth. Then I was free for the rest of the rally. I went to Benka Pulko's seminar again and she is as delightful as ever. She is going to make sure my friend Nina in Slovenia gets her book this time. I spent 1 evening visiting with my friends Dee and Byron from Minnesota. Visiting and we went to the entertainment. Really for me they could forgo it.
 
 That night I decided to eat at the Irish pub on the grounds. They just had a limited menu and I did not feel so good after eating their Rueben. That will teach me.
Dee and Byron's dog Buddy. He is just so good. Never barks and waits patiently until they get back.
Just rows and rows of BMW motorcycles everywhere you look. From north , south ,east and west.
Australia, Mexico, New York, Alaska, California, P.E.I. Florida
 
 
There are vendors selling tours, underwear, clothing, parts, tires. Anything you could possibly want for your motorcycle.
Here is Tonni cooking dinner for Steve, John and I the last night.
There was even a Messersmit which drew a lot of attention.
There were lots of Tech sessions, talk sessions, tours to view, I kind of wanted  to go to the one entitled 2 wheels or 3 bedroom house.
The closing ceremonies were Saturday night and Sunday morning people packed up and headed out.
Another BMW National laid to rest. Great weather, Great friends, Great camaderie and great journey.
I of course headed out for Ontario. Forgot about 1 great Lake between me and my destination. Had to go north and around and as usual I got lost. But it was great anyway and I will continue my journey in my next episode.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment