Saturday 3 August 2013

Cashmere, Rocky Reach Dam

So I finally got away from Salem after another great breakfast at Dick and Gerry's.
Headed north on back roads 26 and 35 and angled up to the Columbia at Hood River. I did not want to cross on the steel deck bridge so continued along the Columbia River Gorge to Biggs where I crossed. Then searching for a new route and with plenty of time I stayed on 97 to Tonasket. Then on 20 to Republic. But I am getting ahead of myself. Just north of Yakima in Selah Washington I went to the North Country Inn where I had stayed once before. It is a lovely motel and has a pool and was very welcoming on a hot day.
Mt Hood
Hood River Dam
 
 
I stopped for lunch at this BBQ place in Cashmere Washington. I tried to figure out where I had heard that name recently and realized it is where the UMCI International Rally will be held next year. It is a really pretty spot.
 
Thought this sign inside was kind of special.
After lunch I proceeded north on Highway 97 Up passed several lakes. Chelan for one and happened upon Rocky Reach Dam. It is on the Columbia so I was surprised because I thought I had left the Columbia behind.
This is a great stop as there is a museum in the middle of the dam and a fabulous fish ladder where one can go down and view the fish heading up stream. It has beautiful grounds and really is a must see and it's FREE.
Looking west at the bluffs across the road from the dam.
Fish ladder. Looked like a great waterslide on this hot day.
On the grounds
Kirby Billingsley
Down by the fish viewing
Inside the museum in the dam. This brought back memories of the cougar I had seen to the south last year across the river in the Yakima Canyon.
Lots of indigenous people stuff and settlers and miners. Very interesting and did I  mention FREE.
 
Inside the dam itself.
This is the pipe which shoots the young fry downstream.
And so ends this episode. Next one Republic.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment