Thursday 20 September 2012

Sipapu and ride



I arrived at the rally and was greeted by Dennis a friend from Nakusp. Registration was closed so I set up close to where I was last year. I had had a bite to eat in Taos so just walked around after reaquainting myself with the place and meeting new friends. None of the vendors were set up yet. The next morning I went on a 133 mile loop to see some of the area as last year it had rained and I never saw anything. So I went to Angelfire and down to the Rio grande Gorge and Dixon and then back through Penasco.

 
The next scenes are from the Rio Grande Gorge visitors centre and at Dixon I stopped at this great mexican restaurant named Zuly's for lunch.




On my return I found there were a lot more bikes and people who had arrived. That evening we had green chili stew which was very good and plenty for dinner. The Watermelon Jug Band entertained and were delightful as always but as they completed their performance it started to rain. One of the few small showers I encountered on the trip. Once I turned in it did rain in earnest but not for long. The next day though overcast was dry. I had breakfast here and visited with some delightful people I had met. I made a point of going to Paul and Voni Glaves talk about a million miles on a BMW. As always it was entertaining and they had not made it to Nakusp because Paul got pneumonia due to the forest fire smoke in Montana so they had to leave the bikes and journey home to recuperate. On the way to Sipapu they took the truck and trailer and were trailering their bikes home.
This is Voni giving her talk.

This is Eamon, Mr Adventure. Quite a character. I was challenged not to take a picture of his bike. It is not even a BMW.

These 2 Triumph sidecar units stopped by and I thought they looked very cool. Saturday I rode into Taos for lunch and to fuel up so as to be ready for my journey the next day. In Taos I am always taken with the architecture as everything..MacDonalds..Ace Hardware, everything is done in adobe style. I took the following 2 pictures to capture that concept but unfortunately they are not the best.

On returning to the ski area. I took the following pictures to give everyone an idea of the parking lot and the diverity of people enjoying this rally.




And last but not least. A photo of Voni with the one, the only, EVIL KNIEVAL????
And so ends the rally at Sipapu. I won for long distance again and got an Ultimate door prize from Bob's BMW in Maryland consisting of a Bob's T-shirt and cap and certificate for 10% off parts for a year. My favorite BOB got the t-shirt and hat . And so ends this portion of my Blog will start a new one as I say farewell to Sipapu and carry on on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment