Thursday 20 September 2012

Leave Sipapu and head for Arizona

Sunday morning I packed up and headed for my friends in Show Low Arizona. I headed south to Socorro and then west on 60 passing the VLA site between the towns of Magdalena and Datil. This site on the Plains of San Agustin. There are 27 dishes in 3 arms in a y formation.. It is a radio astronomy  observatory and has been used in several movies.
When I arrived in Springerville it was raining slightly so I thought I'll just stay here tonight and go to the top of the mountain tomorrow..but quickly changed my mind when I found that it was clear and dry and only 30 miles down the road. Don Trish's son agreed to meet me and guide me up to their place. I had no problem finding the little general store and was only there a few minutes before Don came along.

Trish lives in her motorhome and Don in his fifth wheel on a little spot of paradise on top of the mountain. The have one of those seatainers to use as storage or shop and have built a beautiful deck on top from which there is a beautiful view all round and a great place to sit and look at the sunsets. They will leave at some point because there is snow there so they will go south to the Slabs or Quartzite for the winter months.


 
This Don and Trish and now for the beautiful sunset.

My bike rsided in luxury on it's very own carpet.
I stayed 4 days and during that time we saw Fort Apache, went to Show Low, Went to Taco Tuesday where I met friends and neighbors, did the Mogollon (mugion) Rim and found lots of different plants and animals which I will cover in the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment