Tuesday 21 August 2012

BMW rally Nakusp, BC

It was a picture perfect day Thursday,Aug 16 as I headed for Nakusp. As I traveled I only stopped to take a few pictures even though there were many beautiful things to see. I stopped first in the Crowsnest Pass to photograph the Crow's Nest as I know it as.



Summit Lake near Naskup
I decided not to take the ferry this trip so I headed north on Highway 6 at Nelson and with an eye peeled for deer almost ran into 2 small bears. 1 little black bear ran out and I managed to avoid him and get myself back together when a young grizzley came from the left but when I honked my horn he turned and went back into the bush. I arrived at the rally site in Nakusp and was delighted to see so many good friends and get reaquainted. As usual and not on purpose this time: I ended up next to BOB.
The next day dawned as beautiful as the last and at some point I headed down to breakfast. I went to a little cafe on the corner we sometimes frequent and noticed they had a sandwich called a Margaret. Well really if they are going to name a sandwich after me that is what I need to have. It turned out to be a grilled cheese with spinach and pesto. So delicious I had it the next day as well. The next picture was taken at the top of the Creston Salmo Highway 3. And then at the cafe I have a picture of John and Helga. Friends in the BMW club that are friends of Bob.

The next 2 pictures were taken in downtown Nakusp. This fellow with the Moto Guzzi and sidecar had 2 jack russell terriers who seemed to like their view of the world from the back end of the motorcycle.


I also saw this unit several times throughout the rally. A bit of overkill wouldn't you say?
One of my goals during this rally was to meet new people and to try and put names and faces together. So aside from a lot of people I already knew I thought I took a lot of pictures but not so but here are some that I did take. Number one are Chris and Dave.




The highlight on Friday was to go to the Halcyon Home and take the seniors for a ride. For 3 years now I have taken Alts a younger Japanese lad with MS. He seems to really like it and His sister says it is the highlight of his year. I also took Simon who is a great young man who works at the home. He said they all look so forward to seeing the motorcycles and going for rides.



My blog would not be complete without John and Dorothy. 85 and 86 years old respectively. I stayed at their lovely home in Cranbrook on my way home Monday and I said they are a true inspiration for all of us who aspire to ride at their age. That is Bob from Orcas Island with them in the first photo and he (joker that he is is the one who pushed Dorothy's hat brim up like that. They had Dorothy draw all of the door prizes out of the toilet they use. Very fitting as she used to be a nurse and changed a lot of bedpans and urinals. Bless you Dorothy even fs you did not draw my name.

On Saturday morning I ran into my friend Jeff Weishert whom I had met in Menlo. However he did not stay so after I took this picture he packed up and left so we did not get much of a visit. The next photo is of Allen and Alice (Bunny) from Wabamum, Alberta. Great friends from other rallies and yes they are groping one another. I may have to censor the picture.

On Friday I took a fellow from Bellingham Washington for a ride in the sidecar and Kurt really liked it and said If you go anywhere tomorrow Can I come with you? So after going to the market I took him to Halcyon Hot Springs and then Nakusp and then sat in the cooling shade at a waterfall. It was a truly awesome day and so fun to share with someone.
Well that seems to be all the pictures it wants to upload at this point so I will end here and do another posting to the end of the rally.


No comments:

Post a Comment