Sunday 11 September 2016

Rally in Hamburg, NY

I found out Hamburg was just 3 hours from Dianne's in Aylmer so Tuesday morning I headed east and south. I of course crossed the Peace Bridge and got on hwy 5 in Buffalo AOK but missed a turn and stopped at a Dairy Queen and asked directions to the fairgrounds. A nice gentleman in a BMW car gave me directions and I was very close. Found my friends and camped in a great place under a tree. There were only a few of us at first but as the week progressed we became prime real estate.

I took these as everyone was leaving. With 6100 there everyone was vying for shade.
It was a great rally. I volunteered for putting pins and patches in the mugs the first day and then the second day I worked 4 hours at the door prize booth and then Friday 4 hours at registration. This got me a free dinner as a volunteer and I also attended an MOA meeting for our Alberta group and had a great luncheon and was given a rally shirt which was great because I was not going to buy one. Our tentsite was way far away from the venues where everything was going on so I cretainly got my exercise. Saw many old friends and made new friends. Always fun.. The journey home was also fraught with adventure. I had to go back to Aylmer to help celebrate my nephews 60th birthday and so on Sunday packed up and headed out. Terribly long wait at the border at the Peace Bridge but unfortunately necessary. The big pain however as once you have passed this trial you then have to stop to pay a toll. I had all my change in my tank bag and when I stopped at the booth and unzipped my passport fell on the ground. Oh pain but good story. The fellow in the toll booth came out and picked it up for me and gave me a life saver as well.
I missed my turn for Aylmer so kind of went up and back down and arrived at the driving school in time for the party.
It was fun with family and friends.
While in the area I visited a friend at Tillsonburg and enjoyed her lovely garden.
We watched the cardinals and baltimore orioles come to the bird feeders.
Because I no longer had to rush back I stayed an extra day with Dianne and we went to the Crazy Eight barn by Suzanne's (my other niece). We had lunch here and a very unique experience it was.

The flower gardens surrounding the place were beautiful.
Inside looking up at the roof

The next day I left and headed west. Across the Blue Water Bridge and back into Michigan. My plan was to follow Highway 2 all the way home. The first night found me in Marquette Michigan. The Americas Best Hotel was very expensive so I found a room at the Marquette Motor Inn. A sign on the door said if I wanted to see the scouting museum to request it. So being a scouter I asked and the next morning Jim Beckwith came in uniform and showed me but a portion of his scouting STUFF.

He is in the process of moving from one building to another but when he gets it done he will have an amazing collection.
Once I got away I found myself following Hwy 2 Detour signs as the road had been washed out at some point. I had no clue where I was and when I came to a big city I discovered it was Superior Wisconsin. I stopped for fuel  and noticed a sign for Gronk's Bar and Grill and there was a Super 8 next door.. I just had this enormous desire to go to Gronk's. It was great especially the onion rings. But the real bonus was later that night when I awoke to ceaseless lightning and thunder that shook the hotel and wind and rain. The next day further down the road, there were roofs blown off, power line down, trees fallen and uprooted. Had I not stopped early I would probably been in the middle of it.

This was just outside the Super 8.

This was at a rest area further down the road the next day.
Called Oak Lake. Go figure.
Next stop. Rugby North Dakota. Geographical centre of North America. I stayed at a place called the Greenwood Inn. Okay but not that great and I did not feel real comfortable here and was glad to move on the next day.

Signpost explains How many miles north , south, east and west.
Sunset from my room.
I got away fairly early and headed for Havre Montana. When I saw a sign indicating Canada was only 41 miles but turned around when I realized the closest place was Medicine Hat which was a long way. I got to the Super 8 and got 1 of the last 2 rooms as the fair was on next door. When I reached my room I looked out the window and my bike was literally rocking on the side stand. I thought it was going to blow over. The wind had come up so fast and so strong. If I had not turned around I would have been caught in it out in the middle of nowhere. I went down and asked a truck if it would mind parking next to my bike and brake the wind and they were delighted to do so. They were from Drumheller and a really nice couple.
The next day I was home once again.
I repacked and went to a small rally in Rosebud which I will talk about next episode but anxious to get on to my next adventure on the 3 Flags Classic. Stay tuned.










No comments:

Post a Comment