Wednesday 28 September 2016

3 Flags 2016 (1)

This year I was able to register for the 3 Flags. It sounded like an interesting trip. Tombstone Arizona to Kimberley British Columbia. But first I had to get to Tombstone. My first day I headed for Missoula, Montana. Now I usually go via Rooseville but decided I would like to go a different route instead of the same ole same ole. I went down 22 but went east and then south to Pincher Creek. Crossed at Chief Mountain and stopped for lunch at the lodge at St Mary's. Then over Looking Glass to East Glacier and then West Glacier. Down through Big Fork and Seeley Lake and approached Missoula from the east.. Delighted to see Art and Betty and the kids again. The next morning Art had arranged to meet the gang for breakfast but all who showed up were Gilles and Hal. Not sure what happened. Then keeping with the trend I headed south on 93. Art accompanied me to Hamilton and I continued over the pass to Salmon Idaho. This is a gorgeous drive. Well I phoned my friend in Chubbock Idaho and asked if he would like to meet for dinner and then made a wrong turn in Arco and ended up at my favorite motel 6 in Twin Falls Idaho AGAIN. Starting to see a trend here. The next day still on 93 to Wells Nevada and staying on 93 south  (Very boring stretch) ended up for lunch at MacDonalds in Ely Nevada. Here I took the first picture of the journey. This metal moose in front of McD's
So I headed south once more and turned east to spend the next night at the Motel 6 in Cedar City , Utah. Then east with falling rain on 14 to Kanab where I had a wonderful breakfast.
I passed this rest area where they honor the Pony Express.


Met a fellow from Austrailia touring on his BMW and had a short visit.
After breakfast I stopped at this vista so typical of many of the spots along the way where one is on top of the world with mountains as far as the eye can see.


One knows they have reached Utah when the rock turns red.
For years I have passed these rock formations and thought Oh I should stop there. But each time I drove by. This time however I spotted a porta potty and needed to go so I pulled in. There was a bar around it and a lock on it. I had to buy some Navajo jewelry in order to get it opened. I worked out however as I bought a lovely pair of earrings for my friend Trish in Show Low.


Pretty cool place.
Destination Flagstaff. Called my friend John from and Arby's and he came and fetched me. Good thing as I was aways away and probably would not have found them. What a beautiful home. I told them they had a problem, They might not get rid of me. I had a beautiful room that overlooked the San Francisco peaks. I asked John what was with that but I guess the story goes if you stand on top and look west you can see San Francisco.
The other view out my bedroom window.
I met John's wife Jan and their daughter Linda. They were celebrating Linda's birthday and took me out to the Tinderbox in downtown Flagstaff. We had this gourmet meal. I had this pork tenderloin. It was wonderful. The yellow is butternut squash.
This is John and his daughter.
Next morning not to out wear my welcome, I headed for my friend Trish's in Show Low. She came down to the store off 61 and guided me in. Several miles of gravel and dirt. No problems with the bike I am riding but still a little scary. We had a great visit that night and the next day went to the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert.
This is her new motorhome. She has a deck on the seacan and I took this from up there and also the sunset.
Well I will continue journey next time. Will start with the Petrified Forest.















No comments:

Post a Comment