Wednesday 16 July 2014

Journey to the BMW National

Well I still have to do a blurb on the Alberta 500 and the Lunatic Fringe Rally but first I want to write about my incredible journey so far. On Saturday my tour guide from Eagle Rider (Steve Feather) asked me where in the world I was and seeing as how I was in Calgary and he was on the Canadian Rockies tour. I booked a room at the Ptarmigan Inn in Banff for Sunday night. I was waiting when the group arrived from Jasper. I got to visit while the riders got their luggage. Lala was also there . Then I made arrangements to take Steve for dinner at Wild Bill's. Lala joined us later but we had a great visit and the next morning I rode with them to Longview but had to duck out as I had a doctor's appointment in Calgary at 1. On the way to Banff Sunday I stopped at the bistro in Bragg Creek to meet with the Rocky Bow BMW club for breakfast. Here are some of the pictures I took while there.
Clarke Workman and Dave Laramour. Hey he has the same bike as me I did not see this color option.Nice.
This is Clarke's K1
The indomitable Roy Sidebottom and his beautiful K bike
Ekke Jr and Sr
Audrey and Ekke's world touring bikes.
Then off to Banff
I got there early so I decided to go to the Cave and Basin. I bought a Subway sandwich in Canmore and had a little picnic and took a few pictures around the area. There was some horrible road construction from the bridge to the cave but the GS handled it smoothly
New signpost
Some of the beautiful flowers including our gorgeous wild rose.

On to the ride over the Highwood Pass with Eagle Rider. We saw a beautiful sow grizzly bear and her little cub. Sorry no pictures.


Steve and I See we are matching.
So after the ride over the Highwood and my dr's appt for medications. I got a rather late start to my journey. I stopped in Lethbridge and went to MacDonalds for dinner and met a lovely couple from Sask on a Honda Gold Wing towing a trailer so of course I talked way too long. However I did make it to Conrad and the Super 8 Phyl and I stayed in in February. It is newly renovated and looks awesome. I even got the same room. After breakfast the next morning I left for Yellowstone and the Beartooth Pass. So many times I think of not following my plan and stopping early . So many times I perservere and push on. So many times it is exactly what I was supposed to do. I stopped at this rest area in Belt Montana. What a beautiful ride down Highway 89. It is going on one of my favorites list. I arrived in Gardiner about 4 and hesitated about going over The Beartooth so late but I went. I almost went down Chief Joseph instead of over the Beartooth but I didn't. It was the most incredible ride. I came down off the mountain into Red Lodge and the first place I saw was the Beartooth Inn Bed and Breakfast and met the an lovely couple who run the place and stayed overnight. Here are some of the photos of this great trip.
Moose is waiting patiently


Scenic viewpoint Sluice Boxes
Next stop Gardiner

Yellowstone looking back towards the gate
Looking ahead towards the Mammouth hot springs terraces. Wish I could have gotten a photo of the bison fording the river towards the road. It would have made a glorious picture but no stopping and he was coming directly towards me. I saw a few more bison near the road. Then I stopped and took these photos.
These thistles are fascinating.
This was at the Bridger Range. Well I am very tired so will have to save the Beartooth til I get back on the computer. Paonia tomorrow.




















No comments:

Post a Comment