Sunday 5 January 2014

Palm Springs to Death Valley

I spent some time in Palm Springs on my return from Agua Caliente. I visited with Cathie at Indio and Ken & Karen and I saw the New Year in sound asleep. I experienced my first earthquake. 3.7 on the Richter scale centered in Idyllwilde. Not too far away. It felt like a close explosion. Everything in the house rattled and then it was all over. On Jan 2 I headed out for Death Valley. I travelled east to 29 Palms and then south to Amboy in the middle of the Mojave Desert.
 
This horse is outside the restrooms. Sorry I do not know its significance.

Note the postcard on Route 66
Roys Place is an iconic stop on Route 66.
It has been spruced up a bit but the motel is not open. They sell a few things in the service station as well as gas. There is sodium chloride mined on the south side of the stop. I only stopped for a potty break and proceeded on through Kelso, Baker, Shoshone . You may remember I stopped in Shoshone overnight last year. However I just stopped for lunch this time.
 
 to the Texas Springs campground just outside of Furnace Creek Ranch. To my delight Mary Norby from UMCI was there along with Jim and David and Susan also from UMCI.
The next morning after Mary cooked Jim and I breakfast of sausages and eggs we went for a hike on the south hills around the campsite and saw some incredible views.


After we returned I jumped on my bike and headed for Scotty's Castle and I will update you in my next post but right now it is 10:27 and I have packed up and ridden from Death Valley to 29 Palms today and am very tired after 3 days camping.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment