Monday 10 June 2013

Salzburg

Well now that I am home it is time to get caught up and back into the present before too much else happens. I left off in Europe just before my trip to Salzburg on the train. It was a Sunday so Joe took me down to the train station and saw me off. Salzburg, Austria and I was on my own. Kind of scary.
I did not take too many pictures from the train as one is traveling at 150km/hr and things tend to get blurry.
 
 

Arrived and asked the info how to get to my Bed and Breakfast. They gave me the bus number and the stop to get off on and the bus driver put me off in the wrong place. I ended up walking all around the Stiegl Brewery and then asked a lovely couple who were out for a walk and they put me in the right direction for Leopoldstron and then I proceeded to go the wrong way for several more blocks but eventually found it. I dropped my bag and headed for the castle.

This was the front yard of my bed and breakfast and it also had this really cool tree
This was the view out my room window. No wonder the place was called Villa Verde
Anyway I dropped my bags and headed out to walk some more. I walked down Leopoldstron keeping the castle in view and just headed for it. It is a very prominent feature of the Salzburg landscape.
A long way up? And I have already walked for miles. But I did it and then took a funicular or tram car up to the castle itself. I then took this picture of where I had just walked.
The next picture is taken in the funicular at the top looking down.
 
Once at the castle one can do all kinds of things. Go through the catacombs. Go through the church. Go through the cemetery which is very beautiful. I was thinking it was an awesome way to be remembered.
The catacombs
 
The clematis was beautiful
 
 
I stopped in one of the eateries inside the castle as I was hungry and tired I ordered grilled sausages and potatoes figuring I would get Austrian fare and received two wieners and French fries.
Nice presentation though.
After checking out all the nooks and crannies of the castle including the marionette museum.
 
 
 
 
Looking out the cannon point.
 
Entranceway to Leopold's castle and Leopoldstron street. I walked past here many times on my journey.
On the walk to the castle a little water wheel and and the castle a Big water wheel.
 
                                                              I then proceeded to walk back downtown and managed to find the things I was looking for and a lot more very old and lovely architecture.
This is the "new" town hall.
The train station
This is the jail house from the Hop On Hop Off bus I took the next day.
 
Across the Saltz River or Salt River because salt used to be mined in the area. The next day I was thinking of going to Munich for a few hours and seeing the BMW museum but by the time I got a place to stay and found it. It was a little late so I got on a Hop On Hop Off bus. It is a great way to get around and see everything and have it explained where you are and what you are seeing. So I went around once and learned the history and the second time around I did The Sound of Music Tour and learned where the filming locations were.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I got off in Mirabel Gardens. and looked around. Unfortunately they were not in full bloom and they were kind of neat just the same and it was raining.
 
This was my second abode in Salzburg. The Motel 1 and it was just a few blocks from the train station and right on the river. I highly recommend it. I walked all the way from the Villa Verde and across town to this place.
 
 
This is the lake from The Sound of Music and Mirabel Gardens is where Maria and the children did Do Re Mi
 
 
The Horse Bath
 
I found this little 3 wheel truck. What fun. And of course for me a Moose
I then asked the reception at the Motel 1 where they would recommend going for dinner and they directed me to the Pitterskellar several blocks away. I found it and enjoyed this lovely pork roast. It was delicious but I had one complaint. There was no room left for dessert.
 
 
What a neat place. I was really glad I made the effort to go there. The next morning I got up and had breakfast at the hotel and walked along the Saltz River to the train station . I met this wonderful couple from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil and they invited me to ride to Brazil and see them. Max and Carmin. Hmmm. Another thought for the wish list.
 
 
 
 
Max and Carmin
So farewell to Salzburg and back to Vienna.
The next day off to Prague.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Marg, your pictures are beautiful! Beautiful trip!! How fortunate we are when we're meeting new places and wonderful people like you! A kiss, Carmine

    ReplyDelete