Monday 23 June 2014

Yosemite National Park

Well again I have been lax. And Sunday I did the Highwood Pass run. It is a once a year trip at least.
Anyway day 2 of 49er rally I decided to ride up to the Priest Café so I could take some pictures. However I was able to avoid that Adams Ferry Road. Once was enough. I shared the shower that night with a big old spider but fortunately he stayed in his own stall. The next day I was going to laze around the fairgrounds but decided to go and see the sights in Yosemite. Reid from Ontario California gave me the pass he got the day before and I must say my timing was impeccable. I arrived at the gate on the west side with only 4 cars in line. I stopped and took some pictures along the river and continued on to Glacier Point where I was told to go to view Half Dome.

So I headed up to Glacier Point and stopped just before the tunnel to get this amazing view of the valley.
 
 
Then on up the mountain. Because of the elevation there was still a little snow in the shady areas.
Half Dome from one of the lower vistas.
Beautiful waterfalls across the valley.
Cathedral Rock
These Sequoias are huge. The next time I go I want to go to Sequoia National Park as it is not to far.
My bike looks so small
Half Dome from Glacier Point. Re my timing I arrived at the top and parked and walked over and took these lovely photos. I no sooner started back to the bike when 3 tour buses arrived and as I left there was no more room in the parking lot and they were lined up to get in.
 
Lots of snow off in the distance. So I wound my way back down and Turk had told me to go to Wawona Lodge near the Oakhurst exit. Built by Teddy Roosveldt way back in it was very impressive. I of course turned too soon and ended up at this motel and cabin complex.
I left here and Wawona Lodge was not far. I parked and went in, looked around for a few minutes and then thought I would have lunch. It was 11:28 and they opened the dining room at 11:30. I had turkey, rice soup that was soo good. It had garlic and I really liked it. Again I left before they got really busy and as I left on the Oakhurst side there was a 2 mile lineup back to Fishing Camp waiting to get in. Following are some of the pictures I took at the lodge.
 
 
 
 
 
This is taken out of the dining room table where I was sitting.
We had a lovely dinner at the rally on the one evening and I sat with my new friends Dee Dee and Jimmie across the table and Ron Harkov. I will see them again as they are going on the 3 Flags Classic in September. Well it is getting late so I think I will get some sleep. Next episode is the trip home over Tioga Pass with Fred.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment