Tuesday 30 July 2013

BMW National Rally Salem Oregon 2013

The next morning I got up early and packed up to get to Salem at a decent hour. Arrived at the fairgrounds around 2 and was greeted by one of my favorite BMW people. Scotty. I got checked and proceeded to look around for a suitable spot to put up my tent. I swear every inch of space seemed to be occupied. This is where I finally got settled and not too mindful of where the bathrooms were.

5,178 registered for the rally and space was at a premium. I found myself camped next to Bob Leninger and his brother Charlie and Paul Chute. They were at the Lunatic Fringe and because I new them I felt at ease. I did not put the tent up right away but laid it out with my gear on top to protect the spot. It was just too hot to do anything. I then checked in with one of the vendors and set up an appointment for the next day to get a new front tire. It was not long after that I bumped into John and Shirli from St Albert. We had dinner with one of the vendors on site 10.00 for ribs and got a good portion and it was very good. Just kind of wandered around and got the layout of the place. Bumping into good friends old and new.
 
The next morning my bike getting it's new front tire
The National is always a busy place but still one manages to meet all the ones you know that are there sooner or later.
BMW bikes are everywhere with a few other brands scattered intermittently among them. There are lots of different seminars to attend and lots of booths set up to buy things and lots of friends to visit with. It is somewhat overwhelming.
I purchased this new Olympia jacket. I said it makes me look 10 years younger and 20 lbs lighter so I just had to have it.
Not a great picture because of the lighting but I went to this young ladies seminar and she was great.
Her name is Benka Pulko and she is from Slovenia and has ridden on all seven continents. Her trip was phenominal and took 5 1/2 years and I found myself crying when she finished. I bought her book but it was big and heavy so sent it home with John and Shirli so have not had time to peruse it yet.
The honey buckets so called. Always a part of every rally and I circled this particular bunch several times when I volunteered on the shuttle for several hours. Truck pulling a trailer with hay bales.
One of the many unique bikes. This one and the following were in the show and shine and I must say mine won a medal. Pretty awesome huh? I was the only one in my class entered in the show.
Best Rat bike. Phil Funnell
 
 
This was at the airhead section and seems to have some homemade add ons.
Yours truly with her bike and medal
Voni Glaves and I at Ardys Kellerman's memorial.
A pretty classy bike in the vintage display in the registration building.The next evening I had the salmon steak for dinner and it was very good also. I must say the food vendors were good and very reasonably priced. In my wanderings I did find a few more of the people I was looking for. Trust Turk to find the best place in the garden by the fountain.
This is Bruce and Jack
Tim and Dennis
Turk and Steve.
Looking back through the food vendors toward the Pavilion where the closing ceremonies were held. I did not win any big prizes or and motorcycles despite all my tickets. Anyway as is usual all good things have to come to an end. So John Shirli and I headed downtown to Next to Home for dinner and again it was very good and then John dropped me off back at the rally site as they were heading out early in the morning and were staying at The Shilo Inn.
The next morning I met De and Byron and headed across the street for a 2.25 dollar breakfast. Ham and eggs and toast. A lot of the rally goers were there and it was delightful to see a few more familiar faces. Then back and packed up. I called Dick and Jerry Carson who live in Salem to leave a message so they would call me when they arrived home from Medicine Hat and they were already home so I went to their house and stayed and had a delightful visit which I will expound on in my next episode.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment