Sunday 23 June 2013

Trip home from Europe

Joe and I walked uptown 1 last night in Vienna and although I thought I had seen everything Joe managed to show me a few more things I had missed like a rose garden and then we went to a beer garden only to find it closed and accidently stumbled on a concert for a Jewish festival and watched for awhile but it was pretty much winding down by the time we got there so we went to another nice restaurant and had a lovely last dinner. The place was called Lavalire. Well I did not sleep much that last night in Vienna for worrying about that 50 min transfer in Frankfurt. Turned out with the delays I was right on time and worried needlessly. Landed in Los Angeles only 30 minutes late and the pilot put it down so softly you were not even aware the wheel touched.
Me sitting on Joe's new stool in Prague
So I landed in L.A. and called Ken and he was waiting at a shopping mall 5 minutes away from the airport. It took me 1 1/2 hours to get through US customs because of the sheer volume of people all getting there at the same time. Ken came just a few minutes after I called and we drove to Palm Springs. I had a good sleep and the next morning left for home on the F650GS. I fueled in 29 Palms and a fellow pulled up on a bike and of course after seeing the Alberta plates started talking to me. So unlike Europe. Then I headed to Roy's place in Amboy in the middle of the Mojave and there was a group of Germans there on a tour and of course I talked to them.
 
This is on Route 66
 Then I headed out and up through Kelso. I was surprised to find a lot more Joshua trees than I had seen in Joshua Tree Monument so stopped to take picture of the blooms and the fruit.
 
 
Not a lot of traffic. So proceeded on to Primm Nevada where I fueled up so I would not have to stop anywhere in Las Vegas. Just boogied on through.
Stopped here and had a cool drink and talked to a couple of guys on bikes that I had passed earlier. One was from Texas and the other from Angelfire New Mexico. This amusement park is in Primm.
Then I road steady to Cedar Utah and I was thinking of stopping but it was a beautiful evening so forged on to Beaver Utah and stopped at a Motel 6. You know your back in America. Look at the size of that US flag.
This was the view from my window. The next day I got up early and rode right through Salt Lake City and stopping for fuel and a bite to eat in Fort Hall Idaho. Then I stopped at the rest area in the Lava Hot Beds and took a little walk along the trails they have built in Hell's Half Acre.
They have a lot of interpretive signs along the trail but I will not put in all of them.
 
 
 
 
Anyway time to move on if I am ever going to make Missoula Montana. Betty is holding dinner.
1 More stop though at a rest area in Montana and later for fuel..Guess that is 2 stops. Got fuel in Deerlodge and
the next two pictures are the rest stop before that.
 
After a nice sleep and visit with Art and Betty I headed out and only stopped a few times and only took the next two pictures of Flathead Lake near Somners
 
And so ends this particular journey.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment