Wednesday 1 July 2015

Mariposa BMW rally

Ever since I discovered this rally last year . I have made it a new destination when bringing the F650GS back. It is fun and lots of friendships forged here.
These are the Harkov brothers and later on in the rally we went uptown on the trolley to Mariposa to the Hideout Bar. It is off main street and around back and I know I would never have found it on my own. Very interesting place. I never did make it to the winery where they purchased frog balls (pickled brussel sprouts). Maybe next year. I camped in much the same place as last year with friends Turk, Tim, Dennis, Greg and Jack. Fred Neely was there but he camped down in the field. Lots of folk from Agua Caliente campout were there as well. I went on the poker run and learned more things about the area.
That is my tent in the foreground.
Tim demonstrating his new gloves.
Turk's new bike looking like an angry owl. We were listening to the Nascar race and his lights stay on. We ended up demonstrating that my microstart really works. Then Turk had to show me his new gloves also.
Jerks! All because I commented on a guy who rode in on his spotless new 1600 with all the latest BMW gear. One of those! Anyway I bought a new Xped air mattresses from Gregg and then I told him I wanted my money back. Why? None of the guys would go in my tent and try it out. He said I was on my own it was not guaranteed for that. Story of my life.
I went for a ride one day and stopped at this lookout.
Later I rode down and across that bridge.
On the other side of the road was this rock.
 
 
Many bikes come to the rally not all BMW's. These were parked just outside the beer gardens.
Not sure of the vintage of these BMW's
This was at the English trials. They had a pile of dirt they had to go up and over and then these humps and bumps in front of the grandstand, a teeter totter and then rush down to the end and shoot. Very entertaining but I certainly would not risk my bike doing this.
They did have a couple of little guys and gals on electric bikes doing this. They were great. The following picture is their little sister not quite 2 and she raced up and down the hill on this scooter.
Well more down than up. I hesitated about staying Sunday as I had a meeting Wednesday evening in Calgary at 7 but decided to stay for dinner and the trials and then boot it for the Interstate to get home in time. I went 678 miles the first day and texted home only to find out they had postponed the meeting til the following week. I will highlight the journey home in the next episode.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment