Friday 20 June 2014

Palm Springs, Mariposa California

Well after the broken clutch cable I got home and parked the bike and sidecar and Wednesday got on WestJet and flew to Palm Springs and Ken picked me up at the airport. Got the bike out and got it started and the next morning headed out. Ken led me up to 29 Palms and then through the Mojave to Lucerne Valley where he headed off on his sales calls and I went up to Barstow and then on to Mojave and Mariposa.
I arrived at the campground and set up
camp near Turk, Jack , Dennis and Tim. So I felt right at home. In fact the camping was like I was camping in my own front yard. On further inspection here was Reinhardt, Duncan and Vicki, Phil Funnell,  Michael McPeak, Rob, from BC and my friend Steve from Bainbridge Island. 400 in all attended this rally and it was very enjoyable.
This is Steve.
I arrived Thursday and got the lay of the land so on Friday I registered for the poker run. I set out by myself to negotiate the 150 miles and answer all the questions. Wow 186 curves between Mariposa and Coulterville and I did it 4 times. Will explain later. People think the have to go to Colorado  for curves and mountains. Oh no Central California has lots. The poker run led me to Adams Ferry Road a one lane two way road with crumbling edges and no shoulders that winds down to a bridge that used to be a ferry crossing and back up again. Thank God it was not busy. At one point I met 4 others on the poker run who said follow us. I don't think so. Those Harkov Brothers are just way to fast for me. Great people though and all 4 will be on the Three Flags Classic with me. I completed the run and was one of the first in with all the correct answers. But the hand I got was a dud.Nothing. Big fat 0. Oh well what fun. I forgot my camera so went back to Coulterville and Old Priest road diner the next day so I could take a few pictures. I had lunch at the diner the first day ..Walnut, turkey and cranberry sandwich. Oh so good. The next day they were oh so busy so I settled for a hamburger but it was very good also.
The Mariposa greeting team.
Taken from Priest road diner
 
 Coulterville is a quaint little town 25 miles out of Mariposa and I did the journey twice There and back.
 
 
Each evening there was entertainment in the beer garden and one could get dinner on the grounds. The breakfasts the wrestling club of Mariposa put on were very good and they were able to use the money for much needed equipment. Well today June 20 I am home and trying to get my Blog caught up but the bags finally arrived for my new bike and it stopped raining so I was chomping at the bit for a ride. I rode out to Strathmore and on the way home I was deluged by rain. I got wet buns and a wet pussy so now I am tired and will go to bed and continue my saga tomorrow til I catch up. Next is Yosemite National Park. Stayed tuned. Speaking of pussy...Here is one (Bentley) who comes to all the rallies on a motorcycle.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment